The West Sacramento Police Department is committed to making information available to the public when requested. 

Report requests including complaints, crime reports, motor vehicle traffic collision, and Police Department publications are available unless release of the information interferes with a right to privacy or an investigation.  

What Information Is Needed to Find a Report?

In order to help the Police Department provide records promptly, provide specific information about the records you seek. When a record cannot be identified by name or number, be as specific as possible in describing the record, based on its content.

How to Request a Report?

By Telephone:

Call the Police Records Section at (916) 617-4900.

By Email:

Fill out PDF form and attach to the following link or can also mail.


By U.S. mail:

      West Sacramento Police Department 
      Records Section
      550 Jefferson Boulevard
      West Sacramento, CA  95605

Do I Need to Identify Myself?

  • You are not required to provide ID or explain why you are requesting to inspect records.
  • However, if you plan to pick up the records or have asked them to be mailed to you, relevant identifying information must be provided. 

What Can the Police Department Withhold?

The Police Department will provide access to all public records upon request unless the law provides an exemption from mandatory disclosure. Examples of records exempt from mandatory disclosure under the California Public Records Act include:

  • Certain personnel records
  • Investigative records
  • Drafts
  • Confidential legal advice
  • Records prepared in connection with litigation
  • Information that may be kept confidential pursuant to other state or federal statutes.

In most circumstances, when the Police Department removes or redacts exempt information from the record, it will disclose the remainder of the record.

How Much Will It Cost?

The Police Department may charge the direct cost of duplication when it provides copies of records to the public (.10 cents per page). The direct cost of duplication includes the pro rata expense of the duplicating equipment and the staff (salary/benefits) required to make a copy of the record. Direct cost of duplication does not include the staff person's time in researching, retrieving, redacting and mailing the record. 

If the Police Department must compile electronic data, extract information from an electronic record, or undertake computer programming to satisfy a request, you may be required to bear the full costs, not just the direct cost of duplication

Traffic Collision Reports

  • You must be an involved party or a representative of an involved party to obtain a copy of a collision report.
  •  Reports are typically available 15 days from the date of the accident.
  • If your report is not available after 15 days, please contact the Traffic Division at (916) 617-4920.


Who can receive a juvenile record?

Unless otherwise specified by statute, California Rules of Court, or by other applicable Laws of Rules, all Juvenile Court proceedings, and all documents connected with Juvenile Court proceedings are confidential.   Details of courtroom proceedings and the identities of children shall not be disclosed to persons other than those having a direct legitimate interest in the proceedings.  When a person(s) who is not a party to the action requests access to a juvenile file, the Judicial Council form “Petition for Disclosure of a Juvenile Record” must be filed with the court and a hearing is required.

By Email:

Fill out PDF form and attach to the following link or can also mail.

   Juvenile Petition Form

Further information regarding this can be accessed at the following link:

   Yolo County Superior Court

By U.S. Mail:

Mail form to:

 Yolo County Superior Court
 Juvenile Division
 725 Court Street Woodland, CA 95695
 (530) 406-6700


The City of West Sacramento utilizes NextRequest to facilitate a public records request. In most cases, your request will be fulfilled within 10 days. Depending on the volume of records requested, there may be fees imposed for duplication.

For public records requests, please go to the following city website:Public Records Request

Police Reports:

Based on the definition of a public record, the report of crimes and incidents written in the course of business of a law enforcement agency are public records and subject to release under the Act with some exemptions (GOVERNMENT CODE SECTION 6254).

What Types of Records are Available?:

The law requires law enforcement agencies to provide information the public has a right to know and at the same time, to withhold information if the release would jeopardize an individual's right to privacy. All agency records are not exempted by statutory or case law are available. Certain records or portions of records are subject to privacy laws and/or other exemptions and are rarely ever available for viewing. Common public records requests are for:

  • Arrest logs
  • Calls for service logs
  • Daily activity logs
  • Statistics
  • Crime reports
  • Accident reports
  • Traffic Citations
  • Local summary criminal history information for an individual
  • Warrant information
  • Juvenile Records

It is the responsibility of the law enforcement agencies to allow access to certain information obtained during the normal course of daily business. Law Enforcement must be aware of and apply the legal exemptions to the release of some information to protect individual privacy, safety and reputation.